Seeking tea-drinkers, pirates, and people who don't like Beyoncé...

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On Titles


I've been thinking today about titles. Titles of books, films, albums, etc have always been important to me, and sometimes a good title will stay with me for a long time, even after I've forgotten much about the work it describes (or perhaps never seen/read/heard it). It's very hard to describe why a title has an effect on us - it can be penetrating, or humorous, or surprising... I guess any memorable title is something that contains a truth that jumps out at us and helps us to relate to something in our own life in some small way. In that respect I suppose a good title has the same qualities as any good piece of art, only in miniature.
I know that when I was coming up with a title for this blog I spent a whole evening mulling over various alternatives, before eventually settling on the above pun because I felt it encapsulated the melding of high and low culture that I wanted to explore.

Here are some of my favourite titles. As for the works they describe - some of them I love with all my heart, some I quite like, and some I am completely ambivalent about....














1 comment:

  1. My favourite titles:

    Because it is Bitter and Because it is My Heart (Joyce Carol Oates - fab book)
    Women Fly When Men Aren't Watching (never read it but love the title!)

    ReplyDelete